Friday, May 1, 2009

Reflection: Weeks 13 & 14



Week 13:
During this week we watched the movie the "Story of Stuff", which was about the process that everything goes through that we use as consumers. It was a pretty big eye opener to see how items are made to just last a short amount of time just so that we go out and buy more. I can see this to be so true because I have had to buy a DVD player 2x in the last 2 years because the they just kept breaking.

We also had a nice adventure in Bagley, where we got to learn how to properly use a compass. It was pretty cool to get a chance to be outdoors and learn some useful information that we can possible use later in life!


Week 14:
During this week we had a guest speaker come in from the Civic Engagement office at UMD to talk about his experiences with environment. He also talked about some other opportunities for after college. It was really good to hear about his experiences and gave some of us other choices when graduating.

We also completed our advocacy project by writing our letter to elected officials or editors. This really made me open my eyes on how significant it is to do something by advocating it to some one that can do something about it. I do have say too that we all did pretty good on it!!

We also did a junking activity in class and it was pretty funny to see what we all came up with. In this activity we were all in our groups and were given an object that and we were suppose to come up with a different purpose for it. After doing this active I got some good ideas and I think I could take this up as a hobby. I can't wait to see what Sue Whitney has in store for us.



"It's not easy to be Green."-Kermit

5 comments:

  1. Ingrid- 2 DVD players in 2 years!!? Wow. I think I have had the same one for like 5 years now. Maybe you should buy some quality electronics or try and shop around to find a used one next time??
    I liked this reflection, it was a very good overview of the last couple of weeks. I too am looking forward to seeing what Sue Whitney has going on!! Should be fun... --S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingrid-
    I definitely enjoyed the junking activity, and all the ideas our wonderful group came up with. I'm excited to hear what Sue Whitney has in store for us too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUnk Junk Junk.... it seems like everybody really liked the junk activity! Note to Dr. V. Do the junk activity next year! IT was a hit, ingrid cool to think that you might take this up as a hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingrid,

    I also think it's lame but really smart for manufacturers to make products that break down after a certain period of time. What would our economy look like if all the products we bought lasted forever? I also thought the junking activity was a "hit" like Abbey mentioned. You should really make it your hobby if you're interested!! Good reflection Ingrid!

    PS. We missed you in class today...hope you feel better soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ingrid! Weve miss you:( Hope you are feeling better! I also think that manufacturers need to make quality products that do not break down after a couple years, this would save our environment so much! I also really enjoyed the junk activity....super fun! It was a good activity to add! I have really taken an interest to junking..maybe ill start too! Great reflection Ingrid!

    ReplyDelete